Most people have those one or two go-to recipes that are fail safe, that everyone asks for at parties, begs for on holidays, pleads for every time they visit. We thought we would share some of our own, from our kitchen to yours.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
(Courtesy of Jen)
- 4lbs brussel sprouts, chopped or sliced (I like mine sliced)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 5 large shallots, sliced into ¼ -inch rings
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or foil.
- In a food processor, coarsely shred the brussels sprouts (or thinly slice them by hand.) Slice the shallots.
- Divide the shredded sprouts between two baking sheets, add the sliced shallots, drizzle each tray with the olive oil, season generously with salt and pepper, and toss together to combine.
- Roast until tender and browned, about 30 minutes, turning the contents halfway through.
- While the Brussels sprouts cook, prepare your almond-cranberry topping. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, then add the almonds. Toast over medium heat, stirring constantly, until almonds are fragrant and starting to brown, 3-4 minutes.
- When the almonds are toasted, add the dried cranberries. Turn off the heat.
- When the Brussels sprouts are roasted, put them in a large mixing bowl and toss with the almond-cranberry mixture.
Avocado Pasta with Grilled Chicken
(Courtesy of Courtney)
- 2 Avocados, ripe
- 2 Grilled chicken breasts, chopped into inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Basil, fresh leaves
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 12 oz Spaghetti
- 1 tsp Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup Olive oil
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
- To make the avocado sauce, combine avocados, basil, garlic and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor; season with salt and pepper, to taste. With the motor running, add olive oil in a slow stream until emulsified; set aside. (If needed, add a bit of water to make sauce smoother.)
- In a large bowl, combine pasta, avocado sauce, and chicken.
- Serve immediately.